New Student Mandatory Visa Check-in
Winter 2014 Quarter Mandatory Visa Check-in Meeting:
Date: Friday, January 3, 2014
Time: 2pm-3pm (please arrive promptly)
Location: Classroom Unit Building, 001
All new F-1 and J-1 international students are required to attend a MANDATORY visa check-in meeting before classes begin to notify the University and the U.S. government of your arrival on campus. New international students who fail to attend this check-in meeting risk losing their legal status in the U.S. Please only make copies of these documents AFTER your arrival to the U.S. Copy machines are located in campus libraries (McHenry or Science & Engineering). ISSS does not provide printing/photocopy services, and you will not be able to complete the Visa Check-In if you do not have all of the following documents and photocopies:
You must bring the following documents to the visa check-in meeting:
- Your passport and your original I-20 or DS-2019
- Photocopy of your F-1 or J-1 visa stamp in your passport
- Photocopy of the entry stamp you will be given in your passport by Customs at the Port of Entry. The stamp should be marked with "F-1 D/S" or "J-1 D/S"
- Photocopy of your passport identity page
- Photocopy of the 1st page of your I-20 or DS-2019 Form
- Photocopy of your Form I-94 Departure/Arrival Form*
*The Form I-94 is accessible at www.cbp.gov/i94 about 48 hours after your arrival in the U.S. For more information, please visit http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/
At the check-in meeting, information will be presented to help you remain in legal status in the U.S. This includes information about SEVIS registrations, immigration regulations, enrollment requirements, and other related matters. International Student Advisers will also complete a final review of your visa documents, so that your SEVIS record will be activated in the government database. Further information about the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) can be found at http://www.ice.gov/sevis/index.htm.