All new F-1 and J-1 international students are required to report to ISSS within 15 days of their program start date. Failure to complete check-in may result in the termination of your SEVIS record and loss of your F-1 or J-1 status. Please remember all students are also required to attend their assigned mandatory orientation.
*DO NOT BEGIN THE CHECK-IN PROCESS UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE ENTERED THE U.S.*
Check-In Process and Times
You do not need to come in to the International Education Office to complete the check-in. All check-ins can be completed electronically through the following:
Undergraduates: Submit online through https://admissions.sa.ucsc.edu/coe/visa.cfm. You will need to know your UCSC student ID to log in.
EAP Reciprocity: Submit online through https://admissions.sa.ucsc.edu/coe/visa.cfm. You will need to know your UCSC student ID to log in.
Graduates: Combine documents into a single PDF and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your subject header, put "YOUR NAME - YOUR STUDENT ID - Check In" so we can identify you quickly. It's recommended you password-protect your file.
You must submit the following documents to complete the check-in:
- Check-In Data Sheet. Download form from "Newly Admitted" section here.
- Copy of your passport identity page, if you've renewed it since applying for your I-20 or DS-2019
- Copy of the F-1 or J-1 visa (Canadian citizens exempt)
- Copy of admission stamp in passport with "F-1 D/S" or "J-1 D/S" notation.
- Copy of the paper or electronic I-94 Departure/Arrival record. The electronic I-94 is accessible at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home about 48 hours after arrival in the U.S.
You must also update your local (U.S. residential address) and permanent home country address through your MyUCSC portal.
Please take pictures or scans of immigration documents after arriving in the U.S. Scanners are located in campus libraries (McHenry or Science & Engineering) or in computer labs around campus. Once you've submitted your check-in form online, an International Student Advisor will review your documents and information to activate your SEVIS record.