All international students and scholars present in the U.S.A. must file an income tax form each year regardless if you were employed in the U.S. or not. You will need to obtain the appropriate tax return forms online or at the campus or local libraries. ISSS is legally unable to provide tax advice for international students and scholars. However, we have prepared the following list of some sites and resources that you may find helpful:
Helpful Tax Sites & Resources
- Internal Revenue Service websites for: Foreign Student & Scholar Information, International Tax Payer. There is the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program that you may be able to take advantage of if you are eligible. Please note that NOT all IRS-certified volunteers in the VITA program are trained on "non-immigrant" tax concerns.
- Internal Revenue Service(IRS) Contact Information can be found here.
- California State Franchise Tax Board's workshop on California State Tax Issues for Non-Residents will be held on campus on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 4PM. For details please visit the ISSS Workshops and Events page.
- California State Franchise Tax Board contact information can be found here.
Glacier Tax Prep is a company which assists international students and scholars with their U.S. tax filing and it may be ordered for individual use.
GW Carter Certified Public Accountants Foreign National Tax Guide
- NAFSA's Federal Income Tax Brochure