Welcome to UCSC's International Scholar & Student Services (ISSS). We are excited to share that UCSC has hosted over 1400 exchange visitors since 2002. In addition to actively engaging in traditional teaching and research activities, our international scholars participate in a wide variety of intellectual activities that strengthen global understanding and contribute to worldwide knowledge sharing in all fields of the liberal arts and sciences. We are delighted that you are- or will be- participating in our J-1 scholar program at UCSC.
To help find relevant information quickly, we offer this quick tutorial of our website:
- Prospective Scholars: This section is appropriate for scholars who are interested in joining UCSC's J-1 Scholar program. This section also provides guidance to transferring scholars, and information on changing one's legal status to J-1 within the United States
- Pre-Arrival Information: This section is appropriate for scholars who are seeking guidance about applying for their visa, meeting reporting requirements, meeting U.S. Department of State insurance requirements, and settling into the Santa Cruz area.
- Arrival Information: Please review this section carefully for U.S. port of entry guidance, U.S. Department of State reporting requirements, and social security information. Follow the steps within this webpage to ensure a swift entry into the United States.
- Post-Arrival Information: This section provides guidance on maintaining legal status, requesting payment/reimbursement authorization, and traveling abroad. Additional information on what scholars must know after checking in with ISSS is listed within this section.
- J-2 Dependents: This section is appropriate for J-1 scholars and their prospective and active J-2 dependents. It includes information about acquiring J-2 status, requesting employment authorization, maintaining legal status, and additional areas of interest.