Please review this section carefully for U.S. port of entry guidance, U.S. Department of State reporting requirements, and social security information. Follow this step-by-step guide to ensure a swift entry into the United States.
- DS-2019 form
- Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
- Valid Visa
- SEVIS Fee Receipt (recommended)
- UCSC Appointment Letter (recommended)
- Financial Certification (recommended)
Upon presenting the aforementioned documents, POE officials will then:
- Stamp passport the official date of entry and mark with “J-1” (primary) or “J-2” (dependent) and with a “D/S” (Duration of Status)
- You will be issued an electronic I-94 document which can be downloaded by going to: www.cbp.gov/i94
Classroom Unit Building, Room 101 at 10:00AM. Scholars are required to submit COPIES of the following legal documents at their Orientation:
- J-1 Visa
- DS-2019 form for J-1 (and any J-2 dependents)
- Proof of insurance from Garnett-Powers or approved waiver from Garnett-Powers
- Local address, phone number, email
- UCSC Appointment Letter
If scholars are unable to attend their scheduled Orientation, they must contact ISSS immediately. Failure to attend the Mandatory Orientation may result in losing legal status, having to leave the U.S, being subject to deportation, and possibly barred from the U.S. for three years or longer.
ISSS is required to confirm that J-1 scholars have attended Orientation and submitted all legal documents in order to validate their record as legal within SEVIS. J-1 records must be validated within 30 days of arrival into the U.S. or their exchange program will automatically terminate.
All J-1 scholars are required to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) with the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office. A social security number is a nine-digit number issued by the SSA to maintain an accurate record of wages. Its primary purpose is to track individuals for taxation purposes. A social security number is valid for life.
To be eligible to apply for your SSN, you must:
- Attend the J-1 Scholar Orientation, and submit requested legal documents
- Wait at least 48 hours from the date that you are validated in the SEVIS database, and
- Be physically present within the United States at least 10 days
- I-94 record
- DS-2019 form
- Letter of invitation/offer of employment from your sponsoring UCSC Dean
- Valid Local Address: Your SSN will be mailed to the address you list within the Social Security application. It is vital to include an address where you will be able to receive mail
The SSA Offices are located at:
169 Walnut Avenue, Santa Cruz 800-593-8523
315 Main St. Suite A, Watsonville 800-521-3385
Once You Receive Your SSN:
Present your SSN to your Department/Division to complete your appointment paperwork
Do not submit a copy of your card to ISSS